After some heavy posts lately I need share a bit of joy. But first thank you for every kind word you recently sent my way. Everything is very much appreciated. We are still in the midst of chaos and heartache but we are getting some clarity and will move forward. In the process of a possible move I start getting into my “clean up mode”. Meaning I try to use up as much stuff as possible so I don’t have to pack it or it feels easier to through things away. I have had matcha powder for ages in my cupboard. I admit it is far past its expiration date… but it is powered. And it’s dry so I use it. And I had the idea of lemon matcha cookies for some time stuck in my head.
And I figured a good batch of cookies to lift spirits is a good thing too. So I made two batches – some regular chocolate chip cookies – recipe by my host mom – and these spin-off lemon matcha cookies. Half of each batch went into the freezer. Those cookies will be a joy when times get tough again.
For today though I share the cookies. I think they are perfect spring cookies and maybe even perfect for the easter brunch table.
Ingredients for Lemon Matcha Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cream of coco (unsweetened if possible– otherwise reduce sugar)
- 3/4 cup sugar ( I only used 2/4 and it could have been even less)
- 3/4 dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon paste or grated lemon skin
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup corn flour – this makes the texture a bit crumbly
- 100 g white chocolate chopped or1/2 cup white chocolate chips
How to make the cookies
- Add sugar, shortening and coco into a bowl and whip.
- Add eggs and whip until fluffy.
- Add salt, lemon and vanilla.
- Combine soda and flower and add to the mixture.
- In the end fold in chocolate.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes, 180° C/350° F
Did you ever cook or bake with matcha? Do you have any ideas how to use up my stash?Do you have a go-to spring cookie recipe? How long does a batch of cookies last in your house?