When I started blogging back in 2013 (say what?!) everyone was doing this bucket list thing. Trying to achieve 101 things in 1000 days (read instructions about day zero project here if interested). So approximately 2,75 years. Sounds achievable, right? I was always intrigued to start my own longtime bucket list but never really did write it down. Of course some of those things have been in my head for a while. Some have been already crossed off that would have made a list in 2013. Some might never get crossed off. However with heading straight to a milestone birthday (in 3 years) I think it’s perfect time to attempt this thing.
For now the list is still a work in progress. So my start date is not yet set but there is a little room to wiggle. So how does it work you wonder…
The Challenge: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).
Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple challenges such as New Year’s resolutions or a ‘Bucket List’. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips, study semesters, or outdoor activities.
Start date: July 14, 2019
End Date: April 10, 2022
In Progess |
Ok, lets get started:
1. Get my retirement plan in order. I do have a few things set up but it’s not sufficient and it needs re-adjusting.
2. Write a will. Not because I plan on leaving the living soon but to make it easier for my loved ones in case of worst case.
3. Set up a living will for medical emergencies. Again to make life easier for loved ones.
Get new pots and pans. (Dec 2020 new pans, decided no new pots necessary at this point.)
Get serious about buying renting a place preferably at the waterfront. (Done, moved 4.4.2022)
Declutter and move towards a more minimalistic life. (Lots of decluttering during the move, not enough though!)
7. Go to a “unverpackt laden” – store selling from bulk containers and you bring your own storing containers and only buy what you need.
8. Decide what to do with my wedding dress.
9. Buy a piece of art.
Start a small house bar. (June 2021)
Land two big full-time work projects lasting 3+ months. (HHLA Project 07/2020-today)
Sign-up and set-up account on photo selling platform. (January 2020)
Find a group or network of like-minded people and cheerleaders. (joined an online bookclub)
14. Figure out the next step in business.
15. Find 5 places to work outside of the home office that feel productive. (2/5 SoHo, Forst,)
16. Find sufficient back-up strategy.
Get craft-lab aka home office set-up. (November 2021 and then moved 6 month later!)
Travel & Explore Things
18. See 10 new places. High on the list are Iceland, Edinburgh, Venice, Norway, Greece, Hawaii… (3/10 – Bremen 08/2019, Venice 10/2019, Oslo 2/2020)
19. Do a weeklong guided photo trip by myself.
20. Go kayaking.
21. See northern lights.
22. Visit the Bauhaus museum in Berlin.
23. Go mini golfing.
24. Go to drive-in movie.
25. Go to Shakespeare in the park.
26. Spent Christmas in a cabin in Finland.
27. Take trip with my best friend to visit our host families in Idaho.
28. Make 10 new recipes from cookbooks I own. (4/10)
29. Sign up for three classes at the community college (VHS).
30. Drive an e-motor roller you can rent every where.
31. Eat in 10 new restaurants in Berlin. (4/10)
32. Go skiing again.
33. Take another weekend trip with my aunt (and maybe have my mom join).
34. See 3 more sights from the UNESCO World Heritage List. (2/3 – Bremen city hall 08/2019, Venice 10/2019)
Fun & Random Things
35. Get a motorboat license.
Go ice skating on a frozen lake. (02/2021)
Read at least 125 books including the Bible and the Quran. (187/125) 2019 Bible, 2020 Quran || Edit: new goal 200 books
38. Read one of Dads favorite books.
Read one of Moms favorite books. (Uncle Toms Cabin 03/2020)
40. Stand in a field of peonies.
41. See a firefly.
Rewatch Gilmore Girls. (Started August 12, 2019, season 7/7 + 4/4, Finished November 5 2019)
Use a chainsaw and/or buzzsaw. (August 2020)
44. Update blog theme.
Fix blog scheduling problem. Plugin installed
Continue to blog.
Participate in NaBloPoMo at least twice. (2/2) (13/30 in 2019 due to arm injury, 30/30 in 2020, 30/30 in 2021)
48. Buy new bicycle and don’t be too cheap about it.
49. Go to another basketball or ice hockey game.
50. Support a crowdfunding campaign. (August 11, 2021 supporting Clare to open her haberdashery)
51. Go out dancing.
52. Plan cousins gathering we are talking about for years and hopefully start tradition.
Craft & Make Things
53. Make kombucha.
54. Make a DIY statement necklace. Ideas been stuck in my head for ages.
Make apple strudel. Want to do that for 20 odd years. (September 2020)
Make a jewelry stand. (22.10.2019)
57. Make our wedding album.
58. Work on or ditch book idea but make decision. 3 ideas by now…
Dye fabric with natural colors. (August 2020)
60. Try if the vintage camera I inherited still works.
Have a craft day/weekend with dad in the workshop. (August 2019)
52. Sew a pair of fitting pants – no loose summer chill-out wear.
63. Sew a Blouson Jacket.
64. Grow something from scratch like an avocado or a ginger plant.
Trying the etching technique for Easter eggs. (Easter 2020)
66. Host a craft afternoon for friends.
Teach my godchild a craft. (December 2020 we made paperbag stars via FaceTime)
68. Book bind my photo journals with the machine I bought ages ago. (machine is broken!)
Hop in the car and drive around and take photos where it’s pretty.
70. Try to crochet something.
71. Improve fitness and get in shape. And loose weight on the way.
72. Finish a 30-day yoga challenge. Started twice. Failed twice. Third time is a charm, right?
73. Book a yoga or pilates class.
Eat sugar-free for three month and figure out effect on migraine. (February – June 2020)
75. Do at least 2 detox weeks. (0/2)
76. Feel more self-confident.
77. Learn to listen. Step 1
78. Have a no-spent-month each year. (1/3)
79. Fine tune clothing style more.
80. Learn Spanish on Duolingo (level 1/7). Started July 2019, level 1 – 6.9.2019
Make new friend. (2020 & 2021 an online friend became a penpal buddy and we met for a few times in Berlin.)
82. Remember my blood type.
One secret one.
84. Another secret one.
85. Host a Friends Giving Dinner and manage to cook a turkey. (planned for 2020 but Corona)
86. Write a letter to myself to open on my 40th birthday. Edit: write a letter to open end the end of next 1001 project
87. Find a decent hairdresser and go there more than once.
88. Cash in massage voucher.
89. Make my hair in the morning 20 times. (4/20)
90. Wear some piece of handmade clothes/jewelry for one month.
91. Remember Mr. ♡ mobile phone number by heart – so in case of emergency I can actually reach him.
92. Reconnect with my oldest friend. (met once so far (2020))
Donate to a charity 3 time outside of Christmas Eve. (2021 Started buying everything through Amazon Smile, 2021 Red Cross Germany flood fond, 2021 Samaritans flood fond, major donation to Red Cross and Diakonie for Ukrainian war)
Volunteer in Christmas in a shoebox or something similar in 2019, 2020, 2021.
95. Leave 10 crafted bits & pieces at random places for people to find and enjoy. (7/10)
96. Watch a Lakers game with Mr. ♡ and try not to be bored.
97. Play x-box games 3 times with Mr. ♡ – and not my choice. (1/3 – June 2021)
98. Sent flowers/gift to someone for no reason.
99. Buy food for a homeless.
100. Forgive myself for something and be kind.
101. Write a new list.
Wow it really took some time to craft this list. You would think there are ton of things to make that list but when you consciously think about it a lot falls to the wayside. Anyhow. I am exited to get started. What you think? How much will I manage to cross off?